Jouw laatste Cognac aankoop?

Welke cognac heb je recent nog gekocht?
Roland
volledige moderator
volledige moderator

Re: Jouw laatste Cognac aankoop?

Bericht door Roland »

Laatst gewijzigd door Roland op ma 18 mei 2020, 19:13, 2 keer totaal gewijzigd.
Hans
Cognac Connaisseur
Cognac Connaisseur

Bericht door Hans »

Roland schreef: vr 27 sep 2019, 07:14 In vergelijking met Cognathéque (niet bepaald de goedkoopste winkel), een zeer hoge prijszettin van Deau.
Zij zijn (nog) niet zo bekend, en dan prijzen van Delamain-vintages hanteren ... gedurfd.

Mijn indruk van Deau is in de loop der jaren telkens weer: te prijzig voor het gebodene.
Als mensen wisten hoe gezond cognac is, zouden ze zich dood drinken - P. H. Malmsten (Zweeds hoogleraar geneeskunde 1811-1883)

Le cognac, c'est la liqueur des dieux - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

Beschreven cognacs
Cognac boeken
Roland
volledige moderator
volledige moderator

Bericht door Roland »

Laatst gewijzigd door Roland op ma 18 mei 2020, 19:13, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.
Fuzhou
Cognac Hors d'Age
Cognac Hors d'Age

Bericht door Fuzhou »

Dudognon 20 year old

I am working my way back on this one. Had the Heritage first. Would be interesting to find out how much better that was, costing 3 times more than this bottle.
Bijlagen
Dudognon Vieille Reserve
Dudognon Vieille Reserve
E754C762-F41C-477A-B6E0-0C02BF266A9E.jpeg (519.78 KiB) 1342 keer bekeken
Fuzhou
Cognac Hors d'Age
Cognac Hors d'Age

Bericht door Fuzhou »

Hans schreef: za 28 sep 2019, 23:41
Roland schreef: vr 27 sep 2019, 07:14 In vergelijking met Cognathéque (niet bepaald de goedkoopste winkel), een zeer hoge prijszettin van Deau.
Zij zijn (nog) niet zo bekend, en dan prijzen van Delamain-vintages hanteren ... gedurfd.

Mijn indruk van Deau is in de loop der jaren telkens weer: te prijzig voor het gebodene.
The Deau ‘Louis Memory’ is said to be 40-100 years old. It cost only $250 USD. Without any reference for comparison in the US, can you shed some light on how that stack up to the value of bottles in your collection? Thanks.
Hans
Cognac Connaisseur
Cognac Connaisseur

Bericht door Hans »

Fuzhou schreef: di 08 okt 2019, 20:14
Hans schreef: za 28 sep 2019, 23:41

The Deau ‘Louis Memory’ is said to be 40-100 years old. It cost only $250 USD. Without any reference for comparison in the US, can you shed some light on how that stack up to the value of bottles in your collection? Thanks.
I'm not shure I understand your question, Fuzhou. A language-thing probably. Please elaborate. Thanks!
Als mensen wisten hoe gezond cognac is, zouden ze zich dood drinken - P. H. Malmsten (Zweeds hoogleraar geneeskunde 1811-1883)

Beschreven cognacs
Cognac boeken
Fuzhou
Cognac Hors d'Age
Cognac Hors d'Age

Bericht door Fuzhou »

Roland schreef: In vergelijking met Cognathéque (niet bepaald de goedkoopste winkel), een zeer hoge prijszettin van Deau.
Hans schreef: Mijn indruk van Deau is in de loop der jaren telkens weer: te prijzig voor het gebodene.
Fuzhou schreef: The Deau ‘Louis Memory’ is said to be 40-100 years old. It cost only $250 USD. Without any reference for comparison in the US, can you shed some light on how that stack up to the value of bottles in your collection? Thanks.
Hans schreef: I'm not shure I understand your question, Fuzhou. A language-thing probably. Please elaborate. Thanks!
Sorry for the confusion. What I am wondering is that since we don’t get the vintage or cask strength Deau cognac in the US, we can’t really compare it to the ‘Louis Memory’. We can only assume that the Louis Memory is a fantastic deal being 40-100 years old. The vintage/cask strength must be really delicious to charge double the price of the Louis Memory.
Hans
Cognac Connaisseur
Cognac Connaisseur

Bericht door Hans »

Fuzhou schreef: wo 09 okt 2019, 07:00 Sorry for the confusion.
No problem at all, Fuzhou! You may have higher expectations of my english language skills, than I may have of your dutch :D

Fuzhou schreef: wo 09 okt 2019, 07:00 What I am wondering is that since we don’t get the vintage or cask strength Deau cognac in the US, we can’t really compare it to the ‘Louis Memory’. We can only assume that the Louis Memory is a fantastic deal being 40-100 years old. The vintage/cask strength must be really delicious to charge double the price of the Louis Memory.
The relationship between price and the quality offered, is somewhat problematic from time to time, in cognac.
As stated before, my personal opinion of Deau is, that it is in general on the pricy side. But that is of course mainly a matter of taste. There will be others on this forum who disagree.

Some time back, we had something of a challenge: we organised a tasting, as a result of a discussion about just this: the price and quality of Deau 1999 (€ 300,-) and Paul Giraud 1999 (€ 80,--). They were found to be of roughly equal quality.

Beschreven cognacs
Cognac boeken
EelcoA
volledige moderator
volledige moderator

Bericht door EelcoA »

Fuzhou schreef: wo 09 okt 2019, 07:00
Sorry for the confusion. What I am wondering is that since we don’t get the vintage or cask strength Deau cognac in the US, we can’t really compare it to the ‘Louis Memory’. We can only assume that the Louis Memory is a fantastic deal being 40-100 years old. The vintage/cask strength must be really delicious to charge double the price of the Louis Memory.
Fuzhou, if you would like to compare apples to apples, the price you state in USD is not so bad compared to the prices this cognac is offered in our region. It is not easy to find it online locally for a lower price, most of the times more expensive. If the age range you provide is indeed correct, the Louis Memory is also a relative bargain compared to the Deau Vintages which Rowin and Roland referred to.

If you however compare Deau to other relatively lesser known cognac houses, also the Louis Memory is priced at the ambitious side. If we assume that average age is between 40 en 50 years, there are sufficient cognacs on the Dutch (or surrouding) market(s) of roughly the same age that are considerably less expensive. For example Esteve Tres Vieux, but I knoe there are more. Whether the Louis Memory justifies the additional investment can of course only be tasted in a side by side tasting. And I know that Deau aims at a premium cognac market and has a bottle which is more luxurious than other brands. Even taking that into consideration, for us as cognac amateurs (in the French sense of the word) it remains to be seen whether Deau will be able to convince us and the market of the hefty price setting they have chosen...
Fuzhou
Cognac Hors d'Age
Cognac Hors d'Age

Bericht door Fuzhou »

Hans schreef: [quote=Fuzhou post_id=13789 time=<a href="tel:1570597251">1570597251</a> user_id=1242]
Sorry for the confusion.
No problem at all, Fuzhou! You may have higher expectations of my english language skills, than I may have of your dutch :D

[quote=Fuzhou post_id=13789 time=<a href="tel:1570597251">1570597251</a> user_id=1242]
What I am wondering is that since we don’t get the vintage or cask strength Deau cognac in the US, we can’t really compare it to the ‘Louis Memory’. We can only assume that the Louis Memory is a fantastic deal being 40-100 years old. The vintage/cask strength must be really delicious to charge double the price of the Louis Memory.
[/quote]

The relationship between price and the quality offered, is somewhat problematic from time to time, in cognac.
As stated before, my personal opinion of Deau is, that it is in general on the pricy side. But that is of course mainly a matter of taste. There will be others on this forum who disagree.

Some time back, we had something of a challenge: we organised a tasting, as a result of a discussion about just this: the price and quality of Deau 1999 (€ 300,-) and Paul Giraud 1999 (€ 80,--). They were found to be of roughly equal quality.
[/quote]

Definitely. You can never go wrong with Paul Giraud. Unfortunately our choices are limited in the states.
Plaats reactie

Terug naar “Jouw laatste cognacaankoop”