Xifeng or ‘Phoenix West’ - The Original Baijiu

Alles buiten Cognac, dat het leven aangenaam maakt. Zoals Pineau des Charentes, sigaren, wijn,Whisky, koffie, horloges, auto's etc...
Fuzhou
Cognac Hors d'Age
Cognac Hors d'Age

Bericht door Fuzhou »

Xifeng, is a type of baijiu distilled primarily from sorghum with other supplementary ingredients such as barley, wheat, and peas. It is named from its location of production in Fengxiang County in Shaanxi, the original Capital of China, dating back to the Tang Dynasty. If you are a fan of drinking white spirits neat, then this would be an easy transition. You will love the complex bouquet and the smoothness of Xi Feng, which rivals that of Moutai at only a minute fraction of the price. At 52% abv. there is surprisingly hardly any alcohol burns at all. The 1200 year old recipe provides the template to all others who later learned to make different variants of baijiu.
Bijlagen
Fuzhou
Cognac Hors d'Age
Cognac Hors d'Age

Re: Xifeng or ‘Phoenix West’ - The Original Baijiu

Bericht door Fuzhou »

Xifeng cocktail:

This taken from the internet, called ‘The Last Lion’ (see link below). However, I recommend an equal part, or at least one full ounce of chartreuse.

https://drinkbaijiu.com/the-last-lion/

Ingredients:
1.25oz Xifeng Jiu
3/4oz lemon juice = 1/2 🍋 lemon
1.25oz Chartreuse
1/2oz lychee purée = 2 to 3 lychee nuts
Bijlagen
The Last Lion
The Last Lion
The Last Lion
The Last Lion
Fuzhou
Cognac Hors d'Age
Cognac Hors d'Age

Bericht door Fuzhou »

An equal part of all of of them makes a not too shabby cocktail. Let’s call it “Green Phoenix”.
Bijlagen
F123CD76-DF43-4902-A5B4-4122337FA372.jpeg
Fuzhou
Cognac Hors d'Age
Cognac Hors d'Age

Bericht door Fuzhou »

Same equal parts with orange flavor. Enhanced with a salty dry sour plum. I name it “Auspicious Phoenix” :lol:
Bijlagen
79576A4B-233F-4CCD-AC42-8D0FD8D10EE0.jpeg
Ton
Beheerder
Beheerder
Contacteer:

Bericht door Ton »

To my big surprise, Mitra sells it in The Netherlands. Mitra is a supermarket.
They have a bottle for €17.99, one for €69,99 and one for €129,99. All 50cl.
They say it is a liqueur.
https://www.mitra.nl/shop/gedistilleerd/baijiu
Could be interesting, but I am much too busy drinking my way through my stash of cognac :lol:
Fuzhou
Cognac Hors d'Age
Cognac Hors d'Age

Bericht door Fuzhou »

Ton schreef: do 15 jul 2021, 13:46 To my big surprise, Mitra sells it in The Netherlands. Mitra is a supermarket.
They have a bottle for €17.99, one for €69,99 and one for €129,99. All 50cl.
They say it is a liqueur.
https://www.mitra.nl/shop/gedistilleerd/baijiu
Could be interesting, but I am much too busy drinking my way through my stash of cognac :lol:
That’s nice. You don’t have to go too far to buy them now Ton :lol:

Although on my follow up tasting of this spirit, it tasted stronger. Not sure if oxidation gave it more heat :?:
Ton
Beheerder
Beheerder
Contacteer:

Bericht door Ton »

I rather would expect oxidation to mellow it down a bit, not to enhance the strenght... :?:
Fuzhou
Cognac Hors d'Age
Cognac Hors d'Age

Bericht door Fuzhou »

Ton schreef: I rather would expect oxidation to mellow it down a bit, not to enhance the strenght... :?:
I thought so too Ton. Can there be something lost after the bottle was opened, isolating different flavors, making the sharp taste more pronounced? Or perhaps it’s impact by the food I ate that day, or body condition at the time? I experienced similar sensations with Daniel Bouju Tres Vieux Brut De Fut a couple of times. The cognac tasted amazing all of the time, but twice it tasted rather sharp, then days later it tasted fantastic again.
Ton
Beheerder
Beheerder
Contacteer:

Bericht door Ton »

I have experienced the same multiple times.
Could be what you said: food, body conditioning or even the company you are with. I have not found out what the most important factor is. I do know that cognac tastes better when I have eaten fish. I also read about that.
Oxidation of course also plays a role. It makes it better. But with some bottles I experienced that after it became better, it makes it worse again when the the bottle was coming to its end.
It is interesting and sometimes a bit frustrating at the same time.
Fuzhou
Cognac Hors d'Age
Cognac Hors d'Age

Bericht door Fuzhou »

Ton schreef: zo 18 jul 2021, 01:47 I have experienced the same multiple times.
Could be what you said: food, body conditioning or even the company you are with. I have not found out what the most important factor is. I do know that cognac tastes better when I have eaten fish. I also read about that.
Oxidation of course also plays a role. It makes it better. But with some bottles I experienced that after it became better, it makes it worse again when the the bottle was coming to its end.
It is interesting and sometimes a bit frustrating at the same time.
Wow, I didn’t know fish can have that kind of impact on cognac. I have to give it a try. I’ve also heard that the top cellar masters also like to taste cognac at around 10-11am for the optimal state of their palates. I guess once for breakfast and another for dinner :lol: it’d be great if we didn’t need to work, or best if the work is with cognac.

The journey through a bottle is definitely an experience of exploration. For any bottle that I really like, I would transfer some onto 50ml bottles to save for later. I really like your instruction about putting glass marbles in the bottle to displace air. I think it’s the best solution, but I can’t find any food grade marbles. The source of the glass is never clear. I’d like to know what I am soaking the good cognac in. Someone can make good money by providing a guarantee clean source on these marbles.
Plaats reactie

Terug naar “Overige heerlijkheden!”