Christian Pessey - The Little Book of Cognac

Plaats reactie
Hans
Cognac Connaisseur
Cognac Connaisseur

Christian Pessey - The Little Book of Cognac

Bericht door Hans »

Onderstaande recensie van dit boekje op Amazon.uk wilde ik jullie niet onthouden:
Andrew schreef:A waste of the earth's precious resources is the only way to describe this crime against Cognac and publishing.

With France's AOCs so dictatorial and so regulatory, and the French public so pedantic and vocal on matters pertaining to language, culture and food & drink, I am surprised that a motion has not been implemented to have this publication removed from shelves.

As there is no motion underway (that I am aware of) so I urge all lovers of Cognac to boycott this book - in that same way that religious slurs and idolatry are protested against if they appear in print, so this book should not be tolerated. However, please don't burn it because that will mean you will have to actually purchase a copy - and I couldn't condone that!

I was hoping, nay, expecting to be informed and educated and instead I was simply very frustrated and very annoyed. Why do I hate this folly so much? Why do I despise from the very depth of my being, this totally farcical ride into banality? I shall tell you why, in the simplest and politest language I can muster.

My three big beefs with publication can be categorised as follows:

i) Language
ii) Information
iii) Bias

Firstly, as a teacher of English composition in Japan, I was painfully reminded of my student's submission. In fact, the level of the English was that infantile and the syntax so utterly painful, that I thought I was reading their homework rather than a bone fide publication. With a little research it turns out that this travesty was originally published in the French language entitled L'ABCdaire du Cognac. Although they do credit a translator, one Anne Trager, clearly this has not been correctly translated, proof-read and re-edited because it reads much more like translation done through software than a knowing bi-lingual individual. Besides the criminally bad linguistics, the actual content is also highly dubious and altogether too subjective, too romantic and totally without citation and reference. Although the book is littered with asterisks, their are neither footnotes nor endnotes to quantify and qualify the often subjective and at times downright bizarre conjecture.

Secondly, according to the reverse of the jacket, this book should provide the reader with 'Everything you want to know about your favourite subject in one handy volume' - really? Surely, if one wishes to know details about such fascinating topics as: Barges, Bottles, Glass, Inventory, Napoleon (the historical figure), Notability and Clergy, Pineau, Remedy, Safety and so on, then this book should be right up your street. However, for the avid connoisseur of Cognac who wishes to deepen their knowledge and understanding of this spirit there is sadly no more than a few sentences in the entire publication, worth reaching for the highlight pen for.

Finally, whilst this book is entitled 'The Little Book of Cognac' or the 'ABC of Cognac' depending upon your language, there is no mention in either title of the word Hennessy, had there been then I most certainly would have avoided this book as I avoid their beverage. Why then is this arguably no more than a publicity pamphlet for the Hennessy corporation? What do I mean my such an accusation? Well despite there being a LOT more to Cognac than Hennessy, of the photographic credits in this book the following pages are attributed to Hennessy in some form: 2, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13,14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 21, 23, 24, 31, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 44, 45, 51, 52, 53, 56, 58, 59, 62, 67, 69, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 80, 83, 88, 91, 92, 94, 95, 97, 99, 101, 102, 105, 106, 107, 110 Back cover top and middle. Does that seem to the esteemed reader like a fair and unbiased exposition of Cognac? How about the fact that on p109 among the 'useful addresses' Hennessy is the only Cognac house whose name appears alongside data such as tourism boards and offices. Likewise on p120 Hennessy is credited and thanked, no other Cognac house is! I could further substantiate this point by citing the endless (unnecessary) references to the Hennessy Company in the actual text but I have forgone that chance because I can't be bothered to find and cite those pages.

To summate, DON'T BUY THIS BOOK, and if someone gives you it as a present, ask for the receipt and return it for something useful. Better still, save your hard-earned, and buy a bottle of Cognac, wait for a fine evening and invite your friends round to share the joy - you will learn a whole lot more than this publication could ever aspire to teach you. Cognac drinkers of the world unite!
Als mensen wisten hoe gezond cognac is, zouden ze zich dood drinken - P. H. Malmsten (Zweeds hoogleraar geneeskunde 1811-1883)

Le cognac, c'est la liqueur des dieux - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

Beschreven cognacs
Cognac boeken
wouter
Cognac Connaisseur
Cognac Connaisseur

Re: Christian Pessey - The Little Book of Cognac

Bericht door wouter »

Bedankt voor de informatie! Geeft mij een geheel nieuwe blik op het boekje!

Ik heb het boekje ooit gekocht voor €2,99 bij de Slegte. Voor dat geld zeker de moeite waard, hoewel ik ook al vermoedde dat de schrijver dikke vriendjes was met Hennessy...
"If drinking Cognac is not allowed in heaven, then I shall not go.
Ton
Beheerder
Beheerder
Contacteer:

Re: Christian Pessey - The Little Book of Cognac

Bericht door Ton »

Pessey, Christian; The Little Book of Cognac
Flammarion; 2003
ISBN-13: 9782080110756 ISBN-10: 208011075X

Na veel aarzeling, ik had ergens een zeer negatieve kritiek over dit boek gelezen (zie hierboven), heb ik onlangs toch dit boekje gekocht. Ik kon het voor 5 euro kopen op Ebay.
Pessey Christian.gif
Pessey Christian.gif (11.77 KiB) 2479 keer bekeken
Het boekje was een stuk kleiner dan ik had verwacht (22x12x0,8cm) met zijn 120 pagina’s, maar is wel op goed en stevig papier gedrukt. In het Frans heet het l’Abcdair Du Cognac en ik begrijp eigenlijk niet waarom het niet is vertaald naar The ABC of Cognac of zoiets.
Het boekje bevat veel fraaie platen en foto’s, maar het moet gezegd worden dat het wel erg veel materiaal van Hennessy is. In de tekst vind je die bias gelukkig niet terug. In de dankbetuiging wordt inderdaad Hennessy als enig cognachuis genoemd, naast het BNIC.
De inhoud van het boekje vind ik erg raar gekozen, zeker gezien de titel en de wervende tekst op de achterflap: “everything you want to know about your favorite subject in one Handy volume”. Ik zou verwachten dat alle informatie via het a-b-c gedeelte te vinden zou zijn, maar de schrijver heeft er voor gekozen te beginnen met een hoofdstuk gewijd aan de geschiedenis (the story of Cognac) en om achterin gegevens op te nemen over adressen, cijfers en AOC uitleg. Dit geschiedenishoofdstuk is erg beknopt en bevat enkele onnauwkeurigheden. Dat begint al met de eerste zin: “It was the third century A.D. that the Celtic Santones planted vines in …. Saintonge”. Aangezien de Romeinse Keizer Domitianus in 92 A.D. de wijnbouw in Gallië verbiedt, was er dus ruim vóór die datum al wijn in het gebied. Maar goed, hij volgt hier waarschijnlijk het BNIC, die op de site ook met de derde eeuw begint. Verder kiest hij ‘at random’ enkele belangrijke gebeurtenissen uit de geschiedenis, maar laat veel weg. Het wordt ook niet duidelijk waarom hij sommige gebeurtenissen überhaupt noemt. Zo zegt hij, ook op de eerste pagina: “Two events would stand out in the history of this region – 507 the Frankish ruler Clovis pushed the Visigoths back to Vouillé, and in 732 Charles Martel stopped the Arabs at Poitiers”. Alleen deze zin, zonder er enige betekenis aan mee te geven. De betekenis van koning François I voor Cognac wordt daarentegen in het geheel niet genoemd.
De keuze voor onderwerpen in het a-b-c deel is ook merkwaardig. Waarom termen als environment, water, nobility and clergy, consumption, degree, menu, safety? Ik weet er wel een paar die helaas niet aan bod komen: phlegme, cucurbite, chapiteau, têtes, queue’s, sur lie, marriage, elevage, bonbonnes, boisé, bouilleur de cru om er maar een paar te noemen.
Dan de nuttige adressen: zeer beperkt aantal en waarom staat Hennessy als enig cognachuis daartussen?
Dan een pagina cijfers over de oogst van 2000 (in liters) en alcoholproductie in liters van 1982 tot 2000. Wie wil dat nou weten? Geef dan alle jaren en ook het aantal flessen cognac per jaar.
Vervolgens is er de lijst ‘selected cognac brands and producers’. Een lijst van circa 120 merken en/of producenten met hun voornaamste producten. Maar de lijst is erg selectief en nergens wordt aangegeven op basis waarvan de selectie is gemaakt. Een voorbeeld van namen die er niet in staan: ABK6, Bach-Gabrielsen, De Luze, Dudignon, Estève, Gourmel, Boutinet. Ik kan er wel 300 noemen die er niet in staan. Dat hoeft misschien ook niet, maar geef dan een verantwoording voor degenen die je wel hebt opgenomen. Is het een selectie van BNIC? Heeft Hennessy er de hand in gehad?
Tenslotte de lijst ‘selected bibliography’. Verbazingwekkend dat in een boek van een Franse schrijver in de bibliografie zo weinig Franse boeken zijn opgenomen. Slechts twee (Cullen en Delos). Ik had wel een Coussié verwacht of een Sepulchre, misschien Ravaz of Lafon of misschien wel Delamain.
Gelukkig staan er wel enkele goede schrijvers tussen, zoals Faith, Ray en MacAndrew (!).
Veel kritiek dus. Maar wat vind ik er nu van.
Ach, het boekje leest wel lekker en bevat veel mooie foto’s. Het lexicale gedeelte geeft snel informatie over een aantal onderwerpen, maar het is zeker niet ‘everything you want to know’. Voor iemand die nog niet zoveel van Cognac weet, kan het een leuke start zijn, hoewel ik wel andere boeken (ook in klein formaat) weet die beter zijn. Heb ik er zelf nog iets uit opgestoken? Ja, toch wel: wat informatie over rancio en de oorsprong van het woord chai.
Plaats reactie

Terug naar “Boeken over Cognac”